PythonVIEW is a software library designed to connect LabVIEW and Python. It enables LabVIEW applications to execute Python scripts but also provides LabVIEW functionality to Python scripts in standard way.
Figure 1: PythonVIEW architecture
PythonVIEW uses the Remote Python Debugger (RPDB) module in order to start and execute Python scripts under control of LabVIEW. RPDB is a wrapper around PDB, where stdin and stdout are routed to a socket handler. PythonVIEW uses a TCP Command Server, to provide functionality written in LabVIEW though a socket interface, such that Python scripts can use it.
PythonVIEW LabVIEW Class
Figure 2: PythonVIEW LabVIEW Class library
- Python script execution under full control of LabVIEW
- Easy to use: LabVIEW class abstraction of both the Python and RPDB interface
- LabVIEW functionality accessible from Python through the TCP Command Server
- TCP Command Server easy to extend by subclassing Cmd_Base
The PythonVIEW LabVIEW Class provides an extensive interface towards Python.
- Applications where Python scripts must be executed by LabVIEW
- Applications where existing LabVIEW code should be made scriptable by means of Python scripts
Video: LabVIEW scripting by means of Python
At the NI Days Benelux 2015, Aschwin van de Haar has given a presentation on PythonVIEW. A recording of this presentation can be viewed below.
There is also a PythonVIEW user group on LinkedIn.
Do you want to use PythonVIEW for free? Fill in the form below, and you will receive a mail with the download link (PythonVIEW v1.8) .
Do you need help? Consultancy on PythonVIEW is possible. You can contact us via email@example.com to explore the possibilities.